Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Random Things

Is it just me, or does anyone else tend to lose all sense of stability as to their time and place when they get sick? And I'm not talking like, "oh, I have allergies, my head is in a cloud blah blah blah" but like legitimate it-hurts-to-move-and-makes-you-dizzy-to-sit-up-and-focus-your-eyes sick. I'm not sure if it's exacerbated my insane hobby-ADHD or clarified how poorly I manage my myriad of distractions.

So, if you can't already tell, I'm taking a bunch of mucinex.

What's first? Ummmmmmm...

Oh, I painted another Ork for my Kill Team!

May I present my team's Leader, Arnold aka "Leg Day":

"Wiff my alllll-see'in eye..."

I couldn't decide what color to make his titan-shoulder guard so I opted for "dirty"
Overall super pleased with how he turned out, and enjoying this format of just sitting down for a night and knocking out a model in one session, letting inspiration carry me where it will for that given model rather than stressing about his adherence to a theme or fitting in with a unit.

Besides, the "powdah" (aka weathering powder, most powerful and sacred of all miniature painting utilities) I'm using on these guys end up bringing the theme right back together, making them all look like the same location is covering them in grime and filth.

Also last week, Artel miniatures posted a preview of some *incredible* orks they have coming out soon, and I will definitely need to add them to my growing forces!

That bottom middle ork jumping off a rock might be my favorite ork sculpt I've ever seen


So what else?

Inspired by talks I've been having with my gaming bro's as of late about playing some Zone Mortalis, I decided it's finally time to get out my corridor terrain sets (acquired through a couple of different kickstarters in the last few years), get the damn things fully assembled and painted, and use them on the table. Expect to see some more updates on these soon.

Advertised as a pretty simple set of "spaceship corridors", I feel like these work for bunker/laboratory settings, too.  I'm trying to give it a grungy, nurgle-y vibe without being too overt. Could work for a multitude of games!

A more complex set, these "Bug Hunt Corridors" were originally done with Space Hulk in mind. I'm trying to go with used/industrial spaceship or factory. I have slightly more of these, including several room modules.

The Bug Hunt Corridors actually already starred in a blog post here way back in 2015 (seriously, what) but I'm updating them now because 1) I never finished them and I want the paint job to look consistent across the whole set and 2) the old paint job looks better in the pictures because of the lighting than in person, where they are really way too dark. I want to throw in a bit of color and life and dirt and grime. Da powdah! (I mean, amirite Rambler?)

And finally, I've been stressing these past few days over what events to participate in during the upcoming NoVa convention this summer. The registration goes live on March 1st, so I need to have my events planned out and be ready to sign up on that date, then use the months between to get my forces ready and practice!

I'm going back and forth pretty hard on some things (looking at you Infinity and your damned 2-day event) and sizing up events I really hadn't considered before (Guild Ball and Necromunda), but our group did settle on one event:

Horus Heresy 30k Zone Mortalis.

Do I know how to play it?  Nope!

Do I have models for it?  Weirdly, yep!

Do I have any of those models assembled or painted?  Of course not!

Ermahgerd?  Ermahgerd.

"I visualize a time when we will be to robots what dogs are to humans, and I'm rooting for the machines." - Claude Shannon


3 comments:

  1. Holy Shit! You haz a ZM board!!!! We NEED to play on that!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh & btw, that Ork looks awesome too, just got kinda carried away for a sec.

      Delete
    2. Dude hell yeah! Trying to get it all knocked out. Hopefully I can get the corridor portions themselves mostly complete this weekend (we'll see how my schedule plays out) and then I'll be able to work on the rooms, which I fear will be much harder/time-intensive. I do have the medbay done, though!

      Delete